The most prestigious series in online poker is exactly 8 days away and to help kick things off for the upcoming 62 championship events, here's a look at some fun facts and figures we've compiled about the World Championship of Online Poker (WCOOP):
- WCOOP ’08 featured 33 events and total prize money of $39,958,000 awarded.
- The 8th biggest WCOOP money winner of all time is Sumpas from Sweden. He’s won a total of
- Several notable players have finished in 8th place in WCOOP events. They include former World
Champion Peter Eastgate in the WCOOP 2009 $25,500 NL Heads Up event, and EPT creator John
Duthie in the $10,300 No Limit Hold’em high-roller event the same year.
- Bahrain is currently the only country with precisely 8 WCOOP cashes.
- Kenya and Congo have 8 entries each in WCOOP events.
- Although Israel has relatively few entries in WCOOP, they have an impressive 8 final table
- Despite being one of the best represented countries in WCOOP, the UK had to wait until ’08 to win
their first bracelet. Things have gone better in recent years, as they now have a total of 8 bracelets –
the same number as Germany.
- 8- Game is the most complete test of a poker players ability, and it made its debut in WCOOP ’08. The
first event of this type took place on September 8 of that year. It was event 8.
- Pat Pezzin was the most prolific Team PokerStars Pro casher in last year’s WCOOP. He cashed 8 times.
- ‘Twisty’ from Canada was the first ever WCOOP 8th place finisher in event 1, 2002.
- Scott ‘emptyseat88’ Fischman has 3 final tables to his name and cashed 24 times since 2004.
- If you’d come 88th in event 7, 2005, you’d have won $888.
- Only one tournament has featured in every single WCOOP, that’s the $530 buy-in Limit O8 (Omaha
Hi/Lo). In 2011, it’s event 36, but most frequently it’s been event number 8.
- Event 8 in 2011 is a game you won’t find anywhere else, it’s a $215 Triple Stud event.
And if you want to be a part of all that action, it's just a few clicks away. Download Pokerstars through PokerNewsIndia and take advantage of our exclusive offers and promotions.