The most prestigious series in online poker is exactly 10 days away and to help kick things off for the upcoming 62 championship events, here's a look at some fun facts and figures we've compiled about the World Championship of Online Poker (WCOOP):
- The first WCOOP back in 2002 lasted 9 days and consisted of only 9 events.
- Event 9 was the main event in 2002, won by Swedish player ‘MultiMarine’. The buy-in was $1,050 and the first prize was $65,450.
- Notable 9th place finishers over the years include ElkY, baseball hall-of-famer Orel Hershiser, and former WCOOP Player of the Series winners ‘djk123’ and ‘Andy McLEOD’.
- Nowadays WCOOP is always held in September, the 9th month of the year. However it started out in July and only moved to September in 2005, where it’s been ever since.
- Germany is the 5th most successful nation in terms of money won in WCOOP events. German players have cashed for a combined sum of just over $9M.
- Sweden has a small population of only 9M people, and yet they’ve won more WCOOP
bracelets than any nation except the USA.
- Only 9 players have achieved the feat of winning multiple WCOOP bracelets. Among them are Team PokerStars Pro ‘Elky’ and Team Online member Anders ‘Donald’ Berg.
- Two countries have exactly 9 WCOOP cashes to their credit, they are Bermuda and Liechtenstein.
- On 9/9/09 Ryan ‘g0lfa’ D’Angelo won the first of his three WCOOP braclets, the field was 999 players.
- WCOOP ’09 saw the debut of 2-7 No Limit Single Draw, the $320 event was won by ‘raydavis77’ for $19,912.
- Event 9 in 2011 is going to be a big one, it’s a $1,050 No Limit Hold’em tournament with a guarantee of $600,000.
And if you want to be a part of all that action, it's just a few clicks away. Download Pokerstars through PokerNewsIndia and take advantage of our exclusive offers and promotions.